Monday, October 6, 2008

Jemele Hill: Only Obnoxious When She Writes About Race, Which Is All the Damn Time

Her contract at ESPN runs out pretty soon, I believe. And it's probably a fair bet that it won't be renewed. So I'm feeling compelled to jump all over pretty much anything she does between now and whenever she is shown the door. In the midst of a relatively unterrible piece about white running backs, we find this gem:

Many of us watch sports not caring if the men on the field are purple or magenta, as long as they produce.

Yes. Many of us. But not you, obviously. You're only allowed to write sentences like that if you yourself are included in the "many" you're referring to. If anyone, and I mean anyone cares about what color the men on the field are, it's the spicily named Ms. Hill.

Actually, now that I look at her exact wording, maybe she's not being a hypocrite here. Maybe she really doesn't care what color a player is as long as he or she produces. The hypocritical thing to say would have been:

Many of us watch sports not caring if the men on the field are purple or magenta, as long as they are all held to the same standard for their off-the-field conduct.

Yeah. It would be a massive lie if she implied she subscribed to that idea.

In case you can't tell what I'm getting at, it's that Jemele Hill is a racist.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if the athlete is purple or magenta, he should probably consult a physician.

Tonus said...

Full-body gangrene is a guaranteed stint on the 15-day DL, I would think.






(Is "full-body gangrene" a real medical term? Just wondering.)

Anonymous said...

I thought this quote from Craig James deserved some mockery too:

"Fans write me all the time calling me 'The Great White Hope,'"

Does anyone believe that he receives any e-mails calling him the fucking "Great White Hope," let alone that he receives them all the time? Does anyone believe that Craig James has fans?

CitizenX said...

FWAP, all of this.

Unknown said...

Why is one of the labels "Garlic Bread"?

Larry B said...

The Garlic Bread label is one of our oldest; I think it was meaningfully attached to one of our first ten posts or so. So I try to break it out every once in a while for nostalgic purposes.

dan-bob said...

Garlic bread had the honor of being in the first class of FJM labels ever.

cf: http://firejaymariotti.blogspot.com/2007/05/lets-write-dr-z-mailbag-column.html

dan-bob said...

Damn you, Larry B! One minute ahead of me!

Chris W said...

isn't "fwap" the sound one makes whilst mastur-beating?

Chris W said...

ps: if you were gonna lionize one of my old-skool labels, you should have picked "appreciating a good wine"

Larry B said...

I'll lionize whatever the fuck I want to lionize.

CitizenX said...

Seriously, you guys have always been less full of yourselves than the other FJM, and now you're beginning to put some distance enterntainment-wise too...


I'm fucking shwasted. God bless rich coworkers who want homosexual affairs.

Larry B said...

Number of people on teh sportsowebs that think like X does, besides himself: 0

Number of people who faithfully read the other FJM and will never switch: thousands. GO SAWKS!

Chris W said...

We need more articles where I make fun of Ken Tremendous even though he's been nothing but nice to our blog despite the fact that our blog is a clear ripoff of his blog: PRICELESS (wait...what was I saying? I'm hungover)

Chris W said...

I was just trying to be aw shucks about it.

In short: I hate the American Office.

Chris W said...

Oh come on, Dan-bob, he's too busy writing for his prime time soap opera to care what we're doing over here.

dan-bob said...

I figured he was trolling facebook for "Jim and Pam" groups, reading the wall and wondering where to go from here.

cf:

http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?sid=0&refurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.new.facebook.com%2Fs.php%3Fsid%3D0%26init%3Dq%26sf%3Dr%26k%3D200000010%26n%3D-1%26q%3Djim%2Bpam&gid=2222046755

Chris W said...

god, I haven't seen a primetime soap opera this suspenseful since the OC!