Monday, May 14, 2007

Let's Write A Dr. Z Mailbag Column

Reader Joe writes from, surprise surprise, Green Bay to complain that I unfairly dogged Brett Favre in my article, "Hall of Fame? I wouldn't go that Favre." Before you get all crazy and go eat some Cheese, let me point out Joe, that I merely said I wouldn't vote for Favre for the Hall of Fame, not that he doesn't deserve to be there. It's too early to tell how Favre's career will end, but part of being a Hall of Famer is being good in every single season you've ever played in and having no off-the-field issues whatsoever. Now I remember back in the days of Bart Starr---when I was finishing up college (Because I'm old! But not that old!!!) a quarterback would retire as soon as he started chowing down painkiller's like they were slices of Mrs. Z's famous garlic bread.

What's that you say Joe? Brett Favre's had an illustrious career? Well, sure he has, but I'm just going on my gut here, and to paraphrase my old friend Terrell Owens, if he looks like a lousy player and he smells like a lousy player, he must be a lousy player. A good player should age like a fine burgundy, not turn to vinegar like a lousy cabernet (by the way for a great cabernet that will age well, like, say Joe Montana [a first ballot hall of famer in my book!],go to Red Castle Vineyards, take Highway 47 to Napa then get off on Route 76 first left... you can't miss it!).

No comments: