Monday, March 10, 2008

Alright Everyone, Back To Your Basements

We're not welcome in the Dallas Mavericks' locker room anymore.

Mark Cuban is the only blogger allowed in the Dallas Mavericks locker room.

At Cuban's direction, the Mavericks have created the first blogger-free policy in the NBA, perhaps in all of pro sports. As a blogger himself, he believes people writing for blogs don't need behind-the-scenes access to do their jobs, even if those blogs are run by newspapers.

Cuban said his point is that if he allows one blogger in, then out of fairness he would have to allow all of them, even if it's just a suburban teenager who runs a fan site. Instead, he said it's better to keep them all out.

"My choice, my decision," Cuban said, adding that he hasn't discussed it with the league office. "We brought it to their attention after the fact. I think they recognized, look, it wasn't a blogging issue, it was a space issue. If you run out of space, you've got to put the velvet rope somewhere. So what do you do? Do I say, `Oh, you're major media, you can get in and little mavsforum and mavstalk and mavswiki, you can't get in?' I'm not going to do that."

Well, you should do that. At bare minimum. I mean... that is, if you don't want to be labeled as insensitive, backwards-thinking, and possibly racist.

Does anyone out there have any experience with forming special interest groups and subsequently getting desperate politicians into back pockets? Our rights as bloggers are in jeopardy. We need to stand up for ourselves. This decision sets a dangerous precedent; before long, we won't be allowed in mall food courts or comic book stores. Not that we like going outside anyways, but it's always nice to know you have the option in case you want to check out girls through binoculars, right? Next, the powers that be will start restricting our content. We'll be prevented from using made-up statistics like OPS or making fun of David Eckstein. And eventually... I shudder to even think of it... our parents will make us move out. You heard me. No more free food. No more free rent. No more not having a job. No more playing 19 hours of Sega Genesis a day. This is the world we face, people.

In protest/response to this development, I will no longer blog about the Mavericks. I ask all the rest of you out there to join me in this boycott.

7 comments:

Archie Micklewhite said...

But...but Avery Johnson is apparently secretly crazy! Jason Kidd isn't working out for them at all, but if they win he'll get the credit, which will be a shitty article goldmine! There are so many vague insinuations about Dirk being German that I haven't yet made! And honestly...what would bloggers be without tangential German expressionism references!?

(Nothing, that's what, or my name's not C.A. Rotwang. Ah...I feel better already.)

Is there a way we can convince Stephen A. Smith to head over to the Dallas locker room? I'm sure he and his My Blog will bring matters to a conclusion but quick.

Derpsauce said...

LOL @ Stephen A. Smith's My Blog

larry b said...

Archie, it's comments like that one (Which are fantastic, by the way. I'm not hating on you at all) that have me speculating about your possible use of recreational drugs.

Bengoodfella said...

Archie, I have to agree with the blog enhancing drug usage speculation concerning your posts. I have read your blog and the only way you can come up with such creative material is through the usage BED (Blog Enhancing Drugs).

It is a little early to say Jason Kidd is not working out and its not like the Western Conference Playoff race is tight. The Mavs have plenty of time to let their team gel together. The Mavs team could never get frustrated they traded an affordable, young PG for an aging PG who can't shoot and only provides a moderate upgrade over Devin Harris...maybe this is why blogs are banned then.

Next week the Phoenix Suns will announce they have banned fans from the arena during home games, calling it a "logistics and space" issue.

Chris W said...

"Archie, it's comments like that one (Which are fantastic, by the way. I'm not hating on you at all) that have me speculating about your possible use of recreational drugs."

This reminds me of how you used to preface your Simmons posts: "He's a great writer, a totally great writer, I really enjoy his work--it's just he's annoying about the Celtics"

Archie Micklewhite said...

If I turn into the Simmons of FireJay commenters, you can...

FUCK. I was totally about to say you can set me on fire. And I found his "NBA What ifs" article not utterly terrible...

Crap. I'm going to go reread Ultimates Vol. 2. Because if there's one thing Bill Simmons would never do, it's appreciate the work of Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch. I feel very confident saying that. Although if Garnett ever gets caught reading it...

larry b said...

Nerd fight.