Tuesday, February 19, 2008

This Is Nitpicking. Or Is It?

I like reading things that have a nice, smooth flow to them.

It's hard to explain what I'm talking about.

I mean, I'm not (nor will I ever be) a good writer.

But I can tell you that when an article contains too many one sentence paragraphs, it becomes annoying to read.

Choppy formatting is distracting.

When two sentences are about the same general idea, it's ok to let them touch each other.

They're not going to cancel each other out or something.

Do you know what I mean?

Bill Plaschke sure doesn't.

Five minutes into spring cleaning, and Matt Kemp and I are already having a fight.

"I'll buy," I said, holding out my credit card to the man working the cash register at Mack Daddy's, a soul food place next to his gym on a cluttered street.

"No, no, no," he said, pulling out a large bill to pay for his food.

"Listen," I said. "I buy for young players. I always have. When you make the big money, you can buy mine."

"No, dude," he said, firmly. "I can pay my own way."

He gets a plate full of catfish nuggets. I get a side dish of insight.

Five minutes into spring cleaning, and already I like Matt Kemp better than last year.

What seemed like clubhouse defiance is now calm confidence.

That deer-in-the-headlights look has become an unfettered focus.

"Last year when I heard that trade talk, I got really scared," Kemp said. "I wanted to call Ned Colletti and say, 'Please, please, let me stay.' I love the fans. I love my friends. I love the Dodgers.' "

He shakes his head with a relieved smile.

"Now that I'm still here, it's time to show Los Angeles how much fun we can have by staying together," he said. "It's time to make some history."

The Dodgers listened. The Dodgers bought. Now the entire Dodgers nation will be watching.

Matt Kemp will pay his own way?

The Dodgers' season depends on it.

Their unwillingness to deal him prevented them from obtaining this winter's top traded pitchers -- Johan Santana, Erik Bedard or Dan Haren.

The Dodgers believe that by keeping his cannon in the middle of their lineup, Kemp would blow enough smoke to shroud the hole at the top of their rotation.

"The Dodgers had an opportunity to move him," said Dave Stewart, Kemp's agent. "But they see the value."

Kemp saves them money. He saves them angry questions from fans who want to see the Dodgers kids grow together.

Now Matt Kemp has to save the season.

I'll cut him a break for the dialog he shared with Kemp because that exchange is best captured with multiple paragraph breaks. But even if you exclude that little segment, you've still got ten paragraphs with exactly one sentence in this part of the article. Most of the other paragraphs have two. (The rest of the article isn't much different.) As my extremely obnoxious and over the top intro demonstrates, that's a pain in the ass to read. I have no idea why Plaschke gets paid to put his thoughts into words. I guess the world needs both Gods and clods. Plus, someone on Around The Horn has to occasionally out-moron Mariotti, right? Feel free to leave comments in
Bill Plaschke's style.

6 comments:

dan-bob said...

I'm not sure exactly why it rankles me, but it bothers me when sportswriters write articles about their friendships with players. The story about them going out to eat adds *nothing* to the story, it just seems like Billy boy wants to tell it to make himself look good.

dan-bob said...

And also, I can't believe you let this stand:

He gets a plate full of catfish nuggets. I get a side dish of insight.

What the hell kind of insight did he get?

"Matt Kemp will hit .300 this year because he buys his own foods."

"The omega-3 acids in Matt Kemp's catfish nuggests support his unique fish-based training regimen which could triple his home-run production!"

Ugh.

Tonus said...

Maybe Bill doesn't get paid by the word.

Maybe he gets paid by the inch.

Maybe he's just very efficient.

It saves us from having to read even more of his inanity.

I hope the Dodgers lose.

A lot.

Jeff said...

"A side dish of insight".

www.makeBillplaschkestopthinkingheisreallydeepandpoetic.com

Derpsauce said...

To me, the worst part of this is "Now Matt Kemp has to save the season." Yes, let's count on a merely decent player to save the season. No pressure there, Kempy, but....."the fate of the Dodger universe rests in your hands."

Angelo said...

you know better than that pnoles
the manager is the only one that can save the season