Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hiatus

I'm going to be gone until the weekend following this one. My mom insists that I actually get some sunlight, for fear that my skin continues to lighten until it's lighter than white itself, so she's dragging me out of the basement and taking me to Mexico for a week. I'm probably going to just spite her by staying in the hotel room reading about projected baseball statistics, leaving only to go to the vending machine for some Fritos. Anyway, FireJay should be in good hands. With how much Chris W. and eriz have stepped it up on the posting lately, you guys should barely notice I'm gone.

The primary reason i'm posting, however, is that over the week during which I'm gone will be the one-year anniversary of me publishing my first article making fun of sports media (this was before FireJay). My first article was about Michael Wilbon saying the best team in the NBA wins the NBA championship 95% of the time. And man did I go off hardcore on that one. I busted out binomial probability distributions and shit to nerdily tear Tony Kornheiser's bane a new one.

Just last Thursday, I believe, on PTI, Mike Wilbon proved he has since learned absolutely nothing about probability. During that "Odds" segment where both Kornheiser and Wilbon throw out percentages of certain things happening, Reali posed this thought: "Odds of the Heat beating the Rockets tonight?"

Kornheiser said something low, and then Wilbon replies by yelling....

ZERO! ZERO PERCENT!

Apparently no one told the Miami Heat this, because those dumbasses took the court anyway. Happy anniversary of stupid odds-based claims, Wilbon. I hope Vegas hires you soon. Can someone explain how one of the least stupid people working for ESPN still has no concept of the likelihood of different things happening?

3 comments:

larry b said...

Wilbon is an arrogant tool. I like everything else about him, though. So that's like 40% of his personality that doesn't bother me.

Unknown said...

Waitaminute. I thought bloggers weren't allowed out of their parents' basement, according to Kornheiser...

Anonymous said...

speaking of stupid people working for ESPN, Simmons' latest mailbag has him ranting for several paragraphs on the topic of NY Giants bandwagon fans.

Pink Red Sox lids, anybody? Or how about:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/confessionalpoet/1801216779/