Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Does It Get Any Better Than Lifetime Original Movies?

Before I get going with my actual post for the night, I just realized I didn't award a winner for last Friday's Reader Extra Participation Friday post from Friday. Friday Friday Friday. Anyways, I liked everyone's submissions (especially Jeff's references from Independence Day, which really took me on a trip down memory lane). But in the end only one person can win. So I'm going to declare this a tie between two people. Andrew and BenGoodfella teamed up to produce this dynamic 1-2 punch:

A- "Does it get any better than the middle third of the Lifetime movie To Be Fat Like Me? You have the very hot Kaley Cuoco trying to reinvent herself as a dramatic actress after 8 Simples Rules..., loads of unintentional AND intentional comedy in re: the fat suit, plus you get Caroline Rhea as (you guessed it!) the fat, near suicidal enabling mom. You know eventually she's going to get found out by her new fat friends as a fake fatty, but...you...just...cannot...turn your eyes away from the screen. It's the Karate Kid of movies for kids with eating disorders!"

B- "I think the best part of "Fat Like Me" is when at the end she rips off her fat suit at the party and everyone is shocked that is she is not really fat. That moment gave me chills...mostly because I realized I had watched the entire movie at that point."

Well played, both of you. I definitely need to see that movie so in ten years when I take over Simmons's post at ESPN.com, I can reference it in one of my hundreds of lame articles about Denver sports teams. You two can either share or fight over the prize, which is a box of stale Froot Loops. Thanks again to everyone who commented- only 60 or so hours until you have to begrudgingly humor me with another submission.

2 comments:

larry b said...

Simmons post will be up early Wednesday afternoon in case anyone's waiting for it. I can't quite finish tonight. I'm more tired than Bill's constant Karate Kid references! ZING

Anonymous said...

I think the saddest part about my post is that reading it again got me thinking, "I had actually heard something about that movie before I ended up watching it." Thinking about it...and then realizing I had seen Kaley Cuoco on "The View" talking about the movie and how fat people are discriminated against. I am depressed I had forewarning about the nature of the movie but watched it anyway. I am also depressed I at some point watched "The View." I am going to go find my weakest co-worker now and punch him in the face and scream for him to "be a man, learn to take a punch." That will make me feel less like a middle aged woman I do believe...