Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Bill Simmons, Your Tears Are So Delicious

You know what I'm referring to. Maybe if he hadn't spent the last five months writing intolerable Patriots column after intolerable Patriots column, he wouldn't have forced me into eff-you Cobra Kai mode. Alas- this is the end result of that sequence of events. And I'm going to enjoy it.

Unfortunately, the article is disappointingly unterrible. He's actually pretty gracious towards the Giants, and doesn't make too many excuses for the Patriots. He points out that the Pats were unlikable (a nice reversal from that column earlier in the year which basically whined "Why can't anyone be happy for us?") and labels their fans as "arrogant." He even admits at the end that he will be forever haunted by Giants fans' chants of "Eighteen and one" from after the game. That's pretty un-douchey for Bill. Still. I came here to empty my bowels on this column, dammit, and I'm not leaving until that happens.

I won't cover anything from the first half or so of the article, but frankly it's ridiculous that he starts out by thoroughly comparing this game to Super Bowl XXXVI. Can we please get an article about someone beating the current Patriots without comparing said victor to a previous championship winning Patriots team? The comparison is really more about Bill's experience than the teams themselves, I guess, but it's still irrelevant and tacky.

It's a dirty little secret, but Super Bowl crowds stink for the same reason that All-Star crowds stink -- more than half of the tickets get chewed up by sports executives, corporate sponsors, people working for the league or the advertising companies that support the league, celebrities and pseudo-celebrities, rich people and neutral fans who just want to be there because it's something to do.

That's not a secret. Everyone who likes the NFL knows that. Everyone. Casual fans in Europe. Ancient guys in nursing homes who were in their 50s when Super Bowl I happened. Five year olds who don't understand most of the rules. Annoying sorority girls who pretend to be lifelong fans of whatever team their current boyfriend likes. Everyone.

Arizona wasn't anything like that. Super Bowl XLII broke the record for "most fans of one team or the other" as well as "most fans wearing jerseys" and "most dead-even split of fans representing both franchises."

The "imaginary broken record" joke is fine in moderation. It doesn't need to be in every column. This particular instance of it should be replaced with either a Karate Kid reference or a story about his daughter.

Because of the unique makeup of the crowd, I became convinced we were headed for something special, even texting a few friends to predict a close and special game.

Ok, Nostradamus. I bet you did. What was the prediction you offered in your column from last Friday?

The Big Pick: Patriots 42, Giants 17.

That's what I thought. Asshole. Bill, three days before the 2007 Fiesta Bowl: "What a joke! Why is Boise State even here?" Bill, seconds before kickoff: "I've got a feeling this one is going to come down to the wire. There's just something in the air tonight. Smells like my own flatulence, which is pungent but subtle at the same time."

Soaking in the atmosphere, seeing the sea of jerseys, hearing the sounds that genuine fans make, suddenly a blowout seemed impossible. This was too good. This was what sports was all about, right?

Cliche, cliche, cliche, contradictory prediction that he undoubtedly did not actually make at the time. Cliche. Epic cliche borrowed from Rick Reilly.

With that said, I never thought the Patriots would lose. I thought they'd be tested, I thought the game would be great ... but lose??? You could point out 10 different instances when the Pats blew a chance to make a monster play or put the game away, and you could point out all the different times the Giants caught a break or had a ball bounce their way,

I'd love to hear about all those times. The only obvious one(s) I can think of is the fact that the Giants twice put the ball on the ground and managed to recover it both times. But how about instead, we point out that arguably the biggest break/lucky play of the game was the Giants' red zone interception Steve Smith perfectly tipped into Ellis Hobb's waiting arms? It cost the Giants a first and goal at the New England 8 (if caught) or a chip shot field goal attempt (if dropped in any other fashion). Manning could throw that exact pass to Smith 100 times, and the interception would bounce directly into Hobb's chest on one of them. Maybe.

but really, everything you need to know about Super Bowl XLII happened on the Miracle Play To Be Named Later -- you know, the third down on the do-or-die drive when Eli Manning ripped himself away from the entire Patriots defensive line (THEY HAD HIS JERSEY!!!!!!) and threw a pass that hung in the air forever like one of those sports movie passes, and even though David Tyree and Rodney Harrison had an equal chance of getting it, Tyree jumped a little bit higher, hauled in the football, trapped it against his helmet and somehow held on while Harrison was doing everything but performing a figure-four leg lock on him.

I've got bad news. That's not "catching a break" or "having a ball bounce your way." Excuse the cliche- that's called making plays. Manning was under pressure. He got away from it. He threw a pass that was right where his receiver could go and get it. Tyree was covered, be he went up and got the ball anyways. Deal with it.

I will forever remember eight things about Super Bowl XLII:

1. Before the pregame introductions, the Patriots were jogging off the field and the Jumbotron caught Brady briefly break stride to shake hands with Pat O'Brien. This bothered me for some reason -- somewhere along the line, the team and the quarterback almost became too famous, as symbolized by that handshake and the fact Brady would have run right by O'Brien six years ago because he would have wanted to flip out in the tunnel and inexplicably head-butt Bledsoe over and over again. Look, I'm not blaming Brady for the handshake. This was the season when his fame transcended sports and morphed into something else, and part of that "something else" involves the occasional random pregame handshake with the likes of Pat O'Brien. You have to do things like this when you're famous, even if you don't really want to do them. At the same time, I thought this was a terrible omen and a defining moment of the season.

Z, O, M, G. Pure hilarity. Really? THAT was your team's defining moment? Not anything else that, you know, happened on the field and made them lose? I guarantee you Eli Manning shook a few hands before the game. Maybe even Pat O'Brien's. Here's a quiz for all you readers out there. Why did Tom Brady have a mediocre game on Sunday?

a) because he was too distracted by Pat O'Brien's sexy man hands to focus properly during warmups
b) because the Giants' D-line was constantly dump trucking him into the turf
c) quizzes with rhetorical questions and sarcastic answer choices are fucking stupid

Understood. We'll move along then.

2. Speaking of Brady, if the Patriots had finished 19-0, I planned to start my column with a scene from the Patriots' postgame party. Through some mutual friends, I had arranged to hang out with Brady's crew for what promised to be a laid-back celebration in somebody's hotel room, probably no more than 15-20 people since Brady's circle is surprisingly and refreshingly small.

If this is true, oh my goodness gracious, how awkward would this have been for everyone except Bill? ("Who is that guy? Why does he keep showing me pictures of his family and asking if he can bring 'Hench' and 'J-Bug' up here?") If this is not true, Bill reminds me of this kid who grew up on my block and claimed to have a hoverboard and a velociraptor in his basement that he couldn't show anyone. Some people are just so insecure about their lives that they have to make ridiculous shit up.

Because it was a rare chance to catch Brady in an unguarded moment -- and an important moment at that -- I spent most of Friday and Saturday thinking about that first paragraph and all the different ways it could start. I kept seeing Brady sitting in a chair with his right ankle encased in ice, quietly sipping a bottle of champagne with a satisfied smile on his face, and Gisele would be there, and everyone would be recapping 19-0 and remembering the incredible season. I liked the thought of a famous person celebrating a historic night in such a totally normal and relatable way.

Imaginary Tom Brady sure is a chilled out guy, isn't he? But had the Patriots won, I bet real life Tom Brady would have kicked everyone out of the room so he could pulverize Gisele after doing lines of blow off her thighs.

And that's what it will remain. A thought and only a thought. It never happened.

Now the healing can begin.

3. First entry in my notebook right after the game ended: "Eli Manning just gave me the Eli Manning Face." And he did.

Reader Ben makes a great point- I think we can now safely say that the Tom Brady face exists. I think it looks something like this. (Thanks to the anonymous commenter from my post on Sunday night.)

4. For the rest of eternity, I will never understand why the Patriots -- a team that broke all kinds of offensive records by attacking teams with an aggressive, run-and-shoot offense that thrived on audibles, checks and the intelligence of the quarterback and his receivers -- became passive in the single biggest game of the season.

Obviously, their genius head coach and his staff of undergeniuses thought that was all they needed to do in order to win. There were no other variables at play. The number of people or decisions eligible for blame are pretty limited.

It's one thing to change styles because it's 20 degrees and windy outside and you're worried about throwing the ball. But indoors? Only on the last drive did the Patriots look like the Patriots. I will never understand what took so long. Ever. I will never understand it.

You coach screwed up his game plan. And also stole some guy's wife, which is even worse.

I wasn't even that depressed after the game, just confused. What happened to the remarkable offensive juggernaut from the first three months of the season?

That juggernaut relied on Brady having ample time in the pocket to make reads and let guys get open.

Where did their arrogance go? What happened to their swagger?

Justin Tuck, Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, and the rest of the Giants defense took that swagger away from them and subsequently used it to beat Brady's face in.

Did the never-ending attention and nonstop pressure eventually get to them?

Not the kind of nonstop pressure you're referring to, but yes. Why is it so hard for people like Bill to understand that sometimes things happen because of very tangible factors? This wasn't a magical mystical performance by the Giants, or a magical mystical letdown by the Patriots. They got flat out beaten on the field.

For most of Sunday's game, it seemed the Patriots were playing not to lose. And maybe they were.

Maybe an even more epic cliche than "this is what sports are all about."

I will say this: Even though Friday's column will probably earn the No. 1 spot on the "Columns I Wish Weren't In My Archives" list before everything's said and done, Super Bowl XLII inadvertently proved my point.

Your point, all season long, has been that the Patriots were an unstoppable juggernaut that was playing with otherworldly levels of teamwork and dedication. Your prediction in the very same column you reference here was that the Patriots would win by 25. You also pointed out how hard it is to go 19-0 many different times, but don't act like you saw this coming. You were blindsided. Admit it. It's like the stunning final scene in "Sleeping With the Enemy."

To finish 19-0, you really need a perfect storm of things to fall your way -- not just off the field when you're building the team, but for 19 straight games over the span of five months, and on top of that, the pressure builds every week because of the streak, so it's inevitable you'll wear down in the final two months. I don't think we'll ever see a 19-0 team. If this particular Patriots team couldn't pull it off, nobody's doing it.

I hope the Colts, Jets, or some other team Bill hates does exactly that in 2008. I hope they subsequently trademark "19-0," "We didn't blow it in the Super Bowl like the 2007 Patriots," and "Mercury Morris is a big dickbag."

5. Much like the Patriots, I choked heading into the weekend: Somehow, I forgot to pack my good-luck Wes Welker jersey and headed to Sunday's game without any Pats gear. Originally intent on buying a Pats hat at the game, once I saw all the jerseys in the stands and in my section, I made the executive decision to fine myself $85 dollars (the price of a white No. 81 Moss jersey at one of those merchandise booths). You can currently find that jersey sitting at the bottom of the garbage can in my hotel room. I might take it home and burn it. I haven't decided yet.

Bill's really taking big steps here to erase the quasi-racist reputation of the Boston area. I mean, Moss only caught the go-ahead touchdown. Why couldn't he be more like WEL-KAHHHHHHHH?!?!?! Obviously I'm not saying Bill is racist himself because of this superstitious reaction, but it's little anecdotes like this that magnify the perception that Massholes hate minorities. Go to Kissing Suzy Kolber and look through the archives from the past few weeks. You'll see how that perception manifests itself on teh blogopages.

7. From the "Now It Can Be Told" department: Everyone blamed me for "jinxing" the Patriots two weeks ago after I posted my Dr. Jack Breakdown of the '86 Celtics and the '07 Pats. (And by the way, I think we have a final verdict. And then some.) Well, a significantly more blatant jinx had already happened: For my father's 60th birthday present at the end of November, I bought him a flight from Boston to Arizona and got him a hotel room and a ticket for Super Bowl XLII, although we took great pains to say "Going to the Super Bowl" instead of "Seeing the Pats in the Super Bowl" on every level. One week later? The Baltimore game happened. Yeah. Exactly. I didn't even write about this because I didn't want to get murdered by a deranged Patriots fan.

You also shouldn't have written about it because nobody cares what you buy your dad for his birthday. We've been over and over this. Please stop.

8. Finally, can you guess the last thing we heard as we were walking (OK, hustling) out of the stadium right after the final play? That's right, it was the sound of euphoric Giants fans chanting, "Eighteen and one! Eighteen and one! Eighteen and one!" Yes, it's safe to say the Boston-New York rivalry has been taken to new heights. As a tennis umpire would say, "Advantage, New York."

Eighteen and one! Eighteen and one! Eighteen and one!

I can still hear them. I will always hear them.

Awesome. If the Yankees win the World Series this fall, I just might have to shift my hatred back towards New York, where it was until 2004. Can't we sell both cities to Canada or something? Maybe try to detach everything northeast of Philadelphia from the rest of the country and let it drift out into the Atlantic? (We're keeping upstate New York because Niagra Falls is fucking badass. Have you ever seen that shit? With all the sun and natural landscape, it's a blogger's worst nightmare. But I was in awe nonetheless.) Just kidding, of course. I love all our readers from the NYC/NJ/New England area. You guys are awesome. Just understand you're not special, that's all I ask.

Overall, I'm not going to lie. I somewhat struggled to get through this column and come up with good material for all of Bill's points. What he wrote, compared to how he's been since September-ish, just wasn't that bad. Which proves a point that thousands of bloggers have made about Bill in the past three years or so- he's infinitely more tolerable when his teams suck. I mean, his references and style are still repetitive. I wouldn't call him a "good" writer, per se. But he's definitely much less worthy of hatred or mockery when he gets knocked down a few pegs by a painful loss or two. This leaves me in a bit of a tight spot- would I rather Boston teams keep winning so Bill keeps alley-ooping me shitty material? Or would it be better for Boston teams to suck again, allowing Simmons to turn back into his old inoffensive self?

I think you can guess which option I'd prefer. After all, Gene Wojceichowski doesn't have any visible team allegiances, and he writes like three columns a week.

19 comments:

Tonus said...

You know it's bad when they fall back on the rotten cliches. The old "you could feel it in the air, something was going to happen tonight" or the even more tired "they played not to lose." I think that Bill started to think that the game might be close sometime in the third quarter, when the Giants made it 10-7. That's when that "feeling" started drifting around his brain.

It would be harder to deal with his unusually humble article if it didn't come after weeks of him being as smug as possible while he sat back and waited for the inevitable Patriots victory, the crowning moment for the team that even God could not stop.

Hey, at least his 42-17 prediction was half right!

Unknown said...

Even Patriots fans knew this game was going to be close. I predicted 35-27 NE, so I am not saying my prediction was anywhere close to correct. But to call for a 49ers/Chargers, Cowboys/Bills type blowout really should be cause to revoke your prognosticator license. I happen to agree with Bill that I never thought the Pats would lose but when you go in thinking 42-17, you really do deserve your fate.

Chris W said...

Justin Tuck for MVP

Anonymous said...

never fear, the celtics are still good and "In 11 days, pitchers and catchers start reporting for duty."

So we are most certainly guaranteed a bunch of shitty comparisons of this Celtics teams to ones from Bill's childhood, recaps of the Red Sox' offseason, some new rules about how he can't complain for like 10 years now cause he can die in peace twice since the sawks one and did not make a "stupid" trade for Santana and kept future hall of famer jacoby ellsbury, etc, etc, et fucking cetera.

Jim said...

Kind of like publishing a 19-0 book
and trademarking 19-0 before the Charger game.

Anonymous said...

Yep, you got Simmons' column, the 19-0 book, the 19-0 trademark, the world famous douchebag with the Patriots tattoo. And I'm sure I'm missing some of the monumental jinxes.

The Celtics should retire Garnett's, Allen's and Pierce's jersey numbers in March, and erect a bronze statue of them each holding an NBA Finals trophy.

Anonymous said...

oK... First of all, if you watched the NFL playoffs this year, you were led to believe that this game was close. Thaqt was why all the money was on the Giants (with 12). The Giants looked good. The Pats didn't.

Second, I am bitterly dissapointed in youre review of Simmons. I agree. Not the usual fare of the last threee years. Worse. In alot of ways. How many times does he reference luck? (Does he ever in 2002?). Why does he? The Giants outgained them, and basically beat their snots in. I will say this: The Giants were better on Sunday. I'll even play this game... If Ny/NE was played 10 times the giants would win in the four, five range... how you like that?

Hey Bill. How about one word about the Giants? No? C'mon. You only bashed em for three weeks. Remember that? Yea... when you were massaging aaron shatz balls with your toungue while he told you how statistcally bad the giants were. Well, for all you stat heads (no offense to this site) out there... VEGAS LOST 2.6 MIL because of you nerds. Anyone who watched the last 4 weeks assumed it would be a close game(then a bunch more simply hated the Pats). Please continue to rip on Bill. He's become so boring. I'm a Met fan... and I just can't take the centric stuff anymore. give him hell

Unknown said...

If hearing a repeated chant of "Eighteen and One" is enough to haunt Bill Simmons' dreams forever, he's living the goddamned dream.

Also, big of Bill to take the blame for the loss onto himself because he wore the wrong shirt. I can only assume that when the Pats lose their first preseason game to the Marist intramural squad, it will be because Bill forgot to wear his lucky Junior Seau thong.

Unknown said...

I agree that I think you let him of to easy on some things. He basicly says in the beginning that the Giants didn't beat the Patriots, the 2002 Patriots beat the Patriots! He never has teh courage to jsut say the Giants beat the hell out of the Pats, and that they were even lucky to be in a position to win in the 4th quarter. He was such a better read when his teams sucked, or lost to the Yankees, as he actually had to think about topics and flesh out ideas for articles.

And sadly, I think Jack-o is more fun to listen to on the podcasts I've heard then Simmons. At least he sounds like a genuine fan with decent knowledge, if not stat geek knowledge, of the game.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't matter what Simmons wrote. After who he's been the last six months, there was going to be a whuppin' at the end of it, one way or another. (as one of the sports blogs pointed out, after the Tom Brady after-party grossness, the Giants might have saved his career by making that not happen... if he had actually gone and done that and gone down lovingly, wordily on Brady and the Pats post-coitus-triumphus, that would have been the breaking point for a lot of people.)

Anyway, he could have written "THE PATRIOTS SUCK AND I AM SAD BOY" 900 times on a black board on Monday and I would still expect Larry (and everyone else) to at least criticize the penmanship, as well as his posture, wardrobe and general demeanor while doing it. He deserves that much.

Anonymous said...

Personally I want Bill's teams to continue losing. Rather than focusing on his arrogant nature, we can focus on what drew us to him originally, which is his constant whining about curses (which is completely made up he insists, as he continues to believe in them) and how his team is the underdog.

The key is that the old Simmons will now alley-oop offensive material as his old self. The whining about his team not catching a break and how they screw everything up can get dissected and mocked because we know his teams went through a great stretch where all they did was win. This is the best of both worlds, his teams suck, and we still get crappy material. I am still offended he is a national sportswriter and he only speaks to a certain target market. The day we get an analysis on the Johan Santana trade with pop culture references and no mention of Boston...that is the day I am happy.

larry b said...

Ben, there's no way we're getting anything about Santana - he got traded to the NL. It's like AAAA ball over there! Do they even play a full 9 innings? Don't they use aluminum bats or something? I heard that every NL team is going to pick an AL team to become a farm affiliate for. If the Royals played in the NL, they'd have won 7 of the last 10 pennants.

(In all seriousness, I did read an article on baseballthinkfactory or baseballprospectus last fall that tried to make the case that the Blue Jays would have won the NL pennant pretty easily in 2007. LOLcopters.)

Anonymous said...

Actually, the NL switched over to wiffle bats this year and they get to hit off a tee. I actually feel bad for the Blue Jays. They play in a Division where there is no way they can compete with the top 2 teams financially and the other two teams are a mess. What to do? I realize this is not an extraordinarily good point but I am sure it does help the Yankees and Bill's Red Sox team a lot they get to play the Rays and Orioles 30 times a year. Two of the most screwed up franchises in the entire Majors. You don't have to worry about them getting it together one year and contending.

Granted, my favorite team does have a bottom dweller and one team that decides to win a Championship every four years, then sell the team, but sucks the rest of the time...so I really have no point. I just dislike Bill Simmons.

I still think it is funny how hard the Red Sux held on to Dustin Pedroia in the Johan Santana trade talks. Even though he is a gritty little bastard, I am not sure he is quite a team changer Santana could be.

I need more Focus Factor, I got way off topic.

Jim said...

He'll never stop writing about his teams even when the suck, look at last year, he kept writing about the Celtics, non stop. this will never end.

I trace his douchery back to when the Patriots beat the Colts 20-3 in the 2004 playoffs (after the Red Sox had already won the WS) he became basically everything he hated in Yankee fans. Arrogant, cocky, etc and his writing began to suffer for it.

eriz said...

For the record, Larry and I actually grew up with the hoverboard kid. I can't believe you referenced J.B. in one of your posts

CR said...

"...pulverize Gisele after doing lines of blow off her thighs" is a great line, but I think you're overlooking something there. How is spending a quiet evening in with your Victoria's Secret supermodel girlfriend, sipping on what would undoubtedly be a bottle of champagne that costs more than most people make in a month, while reflecting on just having won the Super Bowl in ANY way "totally normal and relatable"? I personally can't relate to that at ALL. Isn't it far more relatable if he's out with his teammates, letting loose, celebrating the win? Maybe I'm way off base here, but that just seems insane to me.

larry b said...

Great point, Caleb. That kind of celebration is completely unfamiliar territory for 99.999% of people. Just like you, I personally could much better relate to him hitting the bars, drinking a bunch of PBR (or whatever the worst beer available is), and then going home and falling asleep on the couch with his hand inside a half-eaten bag of microwave popcorn.

Anonymous said...

Spot fucking on Larry,
Let's see you have Belichick tea bagged in front of a quarter of a billion people worldwide, outstanding, the taste of a perfect season turned to catcrap in the mouths of the 10% actual Patriots fans and the 100% remaining bandwagoneers, well done, and now Bill Simmons the ultimate phony tries to convince us he even has friends, OK I'll suspend my snickering disbelief, but I don't buy they're mutually friendly with Brady and they would blow that by bringing Simmons to what would be the ultimate SB post-party and Simmons knows what the hell that party would be like in any case, refreshingly small sounds like the excuse they give him to keep him out of a monster blowout, finally only the Patriots are good enough to go undefeated ever because there's no way you could build a team that gets lucky and squeaks out of four or five near losses, cheats in the first game of the season and finally lucks out by playing an AFC title game against an injury depleted opponent, yeah seems like virtually impossible odds, I hope the Browns or the Texans do it.

Hey noles that run on sentence is just for you. This was a great page of scribble guys, every post, btw when will men ever have a shot at growing a sack on the Lifetime Channel?

Best Fishes,
Ed

Anonymous said...

Read This and listen to the BS Report Super Bowl Preview Chat:

"The symmetry was incredible. It was staggering. It was epic. During the two weeks leading up to the game, I heard and read different media members make the case there were potential similarities between Super Bowl XXXVI and Super Bowl XLII, never believing the comparison had merit because the 2008 Giants were so different than the 2002 Patriots. The Giants had a deep threat. They had a monster defensive line. They had a semi-experienced quarterback and a good running game. Unlike in 2002, some people were giving this underdog a chance. I just didn't see it."

Essentially he says in the column that he didn't think the 07 Giants were comparable to the 01 Pats because the Giants were better. Right? In the chat he says they were not comprable because the Giants were worse (Mentions the second AFC seed, a week 9 Pats game where they hung with the Rams and people said "this team could be in the SB. No one ever said that about this Giants team."). That's two complete opposite mindsets right? Does that make any sense?

Oh my God. This column was so bad. He constantly mentions "luck," in reference to the Giants in a game where the Giants outgained the Patriots by more than 50 yards. Much safer to say, the Patriots were "lucky" to be up 7-3 after getting dominated. And then, he doesn't even mention the Giants. It's like the 01 Patriots beat the 07 Patriots. What a joke. I would say that this is the WORST simmons column, but since he's had so many that have given me the gay cold douche chills over the last two years, I'll just say it's top 5.
Why does he even bother writing? Why do I read?

Oh, I know. Giants 17... Patriots 14. In the best way possible.