Saturday, September 8, 2007

Rick Ankiel is a Douche

I was already sick of hearing about Ankiel's "amazing" comeback on ESPN. Now he's been linked to a possible pharmacy doping substance ring. Supposedly he had some HGH after an elbow surgery, and blah blah blah... We as sports fans have heard all of this stuff before, and frankly I don't give a shit anymore. Steroids and doping are going to become completely untraceable sometime is the very near future; so at some point we, as fans, need to stop caring.

I don't want to get into a whole rant about steroids, I just wanted to point out something Ankiel said to the press. A reporter asked Ankiel if he ever took the HGH, and he responded "Uhh.. durr.. I'm not going to talk about that, because of patient, um, and doctor, uh, privilege"

What a fucking asshole. I really don't care if you say "No comment" or "I don't feel comfortable talking about that." That's fine with me. But don't cite doctor/patient laws that you clearly don't understand. These laws were put in place to protect patients from their doctors talking, without a subpoena, about treatments, conditions, or counseling.

This story really has noting to do with bad journalism, but I just wanted to get it out there, because it really pissed me off.

Edit: And just to clarify, I do realize that Ankiel is OPSing a ridiculous 1.14 this season. It's only over 84 at bats, so his numbers are probably artificially high.

No comments: