Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Bit of Credit Where a Bit of Credit Is Due

I'm not saying he's the next F. Scott Fitzgerald, but I was very pleasantly surprised with the conclusion of this piece by Jayson Stark. Hey, how come home teams have been winning games at a surprising pace so far this year? (And speaking of which, how come David Eckstein has a World Series MVP trophy? How come Alex Rodriguez's playoff stats aren't that great since he became a Yankee? How come I sometimes flip a coin five times, and it comes up heads every single time?) Is it any one of a bunch of bullshit, anecdotal explanations? Most writers would be tempted by these foolish and almost definitely WRONG options. But not Jayson. (At least, not this time.) His conclusion- it's probably a matter of small sample size.

I like it.

1 comment:

Bengoodfella said...

What is this sample size? You mean I can't read one of your posts Larry and say this is the single greatest blogger ever recorded in blogging history.

You mean Marisa Tomei is not going to win another Oscar? Jay Bruce is not going to hit .500 for his entire career? David Ortiz is not the cluthiest of all clutchiest players?

My world=crashing down.