Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Two Quick Things

I'm on a haphazard roadtrip through the upper midwest at the moment.  I've come across two very brief things that merit mention:


1. The latest issue of SI has an article by good old Selena Roberts about aging NASCAR driver Mark Martin.  I have no idea if it's a good article (what constitutes good NASCAR journalism anyways?), but the title is one of the silliest things I've read recently:

The Old Man And the Wheeee!

Wow.

2. Last night a friend and I went to the Brewers/Mets game - Miller Park's a nice place and I enjoy the culture of tailgating that surrounds it.  But, more importantly, my friend and I replicated the sign displayed in this video (0:21 in). While we were standing outside the park, educating the public on Wade Boggs's ability to drink sixty-four beers on a cross-country flight, a couple of malcontents chirped up that they'd heard Wade on Dan Patrick's radio show recently and that he stated that the number was forty-eight.  Can anyone out in the blogiverse corroborate this story?

Now, of course, it's also true that Wade might be trying to downplay his prowess a little bit - just like he does in the original PTI segment where he ludicrously claims that "It's nothing to be proud of".  But if he did renounce his accomplishment, I'd like to know it so I can respond to challenges like this.

Oh, geez, I don't know, like seventy?




5 comments:

Elliot said...

Ahhh, how I long for the days when great baseball players actually did things to their body to unenhance their performance on the field.

How great of an athlete was Wade Boggs? The man could drink at least a case and a half and he still got to 3,000 hits. A-Rod had to take roids for nearly three seasons just to get to 500 homers. Manny has to inject female hormones to boot easy fly balls and have his hat fly off running to second base.

Does stand to reason that if Barry Bonds drank a bottle of Jack every day he would have hit 800?

Chris W said...

I think, Elliot, that I can find nothing wrong w/ your logic.

Larry B said...

Selena Roberts is one of the worst people on Earth and I wish she would get shot into deep space. There, I just said what everyone with a brain was thinking.

Tonus said...

Not just that, but if Barry got sloshed before every game, he might have been just a bit more fun for the press and fans to deal with.

Cornelius Talmidge said...

Along similar lines, I think we can all agree that had Babe Ruth laid off the women, cigarettes, and bourbon, and maybe replaced those things with some growth hormones, he would have hit somewhere in the ballpark of what...1,500 home runs?